Acne is the most common skin condition and over time has physically and emotionally scarred millions.
It is characterised by the appearance of 6 main types of spots, blackheads, whiteheads, papules, pustules, nodules and cysts.
Although the exact cause of acne remains unknown, the following factors are considered important
- The sebaceous gland produces more oil resulting in a generally oily complexion.
- Dead skin cells become sticky and partially or completely block the pore through which the hair follicle emerges.
- The bacteria P. Acnes multiplies in the retained oil causing inflammation resulting in papules, pustules, nodules or cysts
- Inflammation damages the cells that produce collagen resulting in thinning of the skin and sunken scars.
- Occasionally collagen production increases resulting in thickened raised scars.
Acne is extremely common, affecting approximately 90% of the teenage population. It may however occur for the first time in the mid twenties, or even later, and persist in a significant proportion into their forties or even fifties.
Topical creams and oral antibiotics can be prescribed for acne, but with limited success. If antibiotics are prescribed, the patient can, over time, develop a resistance or tolerance to the.
Acne can cause severe emotional distress, and, sadly, stress and worry can exacerbate and aggravate acne symptoms. We understand how acne flare-ups can affect your life and damage your self confidence.
A full medical assessment by a qualified doctor is recommended to ensure optimal results. Treatment often involves the concurrent use of multiple modes of therapy including:
- Topical antibiotics with benzoyl peroxide
- Oral antibiotics
- Hormonal manipulation
- Hydrafacial treatment for blackheads,whiteheads and blocked pores
- V Beam 595nm PDL laser treatment for red, sore, inflammatory acne
The complex choice of which laser or therapy to use for the optimal treatment of acne scarring, is taxing for the most experienced physician. (This is discussed in more detail in the scarring section of this website) Treatment options usually include a combination of the following:
- Ice pick scars – TCA cross
- Boxcar scars – Laser skin resurfacing
- Rolling scars – Laser skin resurfacing and dermal fillers
- Atrophic scars – Fat grafting and dermal fillers
- PIE (red scars) – V Beam 595nm PDL
- PIH (brown scars) – Q switched Ruby 694nm or KTP 532nm
- Tethered or anchored scars – Subcision
- Linear scars – Surgical excision
- Hypertrophic scars – silicone gel sheets or similar long chain polymers
Because we offer the entire range of acne treatments, we can truly recommend the option that is best suited to your needs. Whatever we recommend, you can be assured that we are not using it because it is all we have to offer but because it is the best choice for you.
Our expert medical team has in excess of 30 years laser experience and have completed more than 150,000 successful treatments. Rest assured you are in safe hands. All procedures at our Cambridge Laser Clinic are performed by fully qualified doctors, nurses and practitioners.
To ensure the highest ethical standards are maintained at all times, our staff are never offered bonus incentives to sell treatments.
Although medical laser clinics are no longer regulated by the CQC (Care Quality Commission), we continue to adhere to the strict standards that were in the past mandatory under government legislation. This is the best indicator currently available that our Cambridge Laser Clinic is trustworthy.
All consultations are free of charge so why not call our team of experts today?