What are the treatment options for patients who snore?
Conventional treatment includes:-
- A) Non Surgical – oral appliances (splints, braces , nasal strips) , weight loss, palatal implants , change in sleep position , decongestants and bed adjustments. Unfortunately, these treatment methods are often found to be ineffective.
- B) Surgical – UPPP, LAUP (enlarging the airspace in the oropharynx by removing or trimming tissue) and radio frequency ablation. These treatments often result in downtime and severe sore throat for 7-10 days.
Somnilase is the first fractional laser treatment to reduce snoring. The laser utilises the Er YAG 2940nm near infrared wavelength .
The laser produces a matrix of microscopic laser beams each the size of a human hair to drill into the mucosa lining the oral cavity leaving much of the surrounding tissue undisturbed. Because nearby cells are not damaged they are able to move into the microscopic injured area and promote rapid healing. The result is microscopic scar formation resulting in fibrosis, stiffening and strengthening of the soft palate and uvula
A full medical assessment including ENT examination of the throat and nasal passageways is required prior to laser treatment to exclude additional anatomical causes of snoring . Assessment includes Mallampati classification, Epworth sleepiness scale and Friedman scores. Polysomnography (PSG) is often required prior to laser treatment to exclude obstructive sleep apnoea. This overnight sleep analysis is carried out in the comfort of your own home utilising a portable device worn on the wrist.
The effectiveness of the laser procedure can be assessed with an App downloaded directly onto your smart phone. Snore Scores and the duration of quiet/light/loud and epic snoring can be measured and compared before and after the laser procedure to scientifically assess results.
Why choose our laser snoring treatment?
- Fast ‘walk-in walk-out’ procedure
- No downtime and immediate return to normal activities
- No local anaesthesia is required as the procedure is virtually pain free.
- Excellent results.